woensdag, augustus 29, 2007

Windows Mobile 6 for the HTC TyTN

According to an HTC press release, an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6 is available for the HTC TyTN. To download the upgrade you'll need to log on to the HTC eClub and register your TyTN (using the device's serial number).

Windows Mobile 6 adds a lot of new features, most of them tied to Microsoft server software like Exchange or SharePoint. I'm especially interested in the AJAX support in Internet Explorer Mobile and I'm also hoping for more robust Bluetooth support and improved overall stability.

The upgrade procedure does seem a little bit cumbersome though:
  • "The upgrade will erase any data stored on the device. Please back up your data first before upgrading your device." So I'll have to figure out what my important data is and how to get it off the device.
  • "The update will take up to 30 minutes, DO NOT interrupt the update process, make/receive phone calls, disconnect the device from the PC, or press any buttons until the process has been completed." (Emphasis mine) Doh... I guess I better disconnect from the network because how else can I prevent people from calling me?
I was really hoping that I would be able to download the English version of Windows Mobile 6. The Dutch version of Windows Mobile 5 that came preinstalled has abbreviated cryptic labels (like "Weerg. voorl.nul:", "Dtm.scheidngst.", "Selecteer welke netw. autom. worden gebr." and "Verl. uit als app. niet wordt gebr. ged.") all over the user interface. It is really annoying. Unfortunately there is only a Dutch download link available for me.

We'll see how things turn out...

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Beste Litrik,

    ik kreeg ruzie met mijn broertje tijdens het updaten van mijn htc tytn naar windows-6 en toen heeft hij de update onderbroken door de computer uit te zetten.

    nu graag ik mijn htc niet meer aan de praat. ook een hard-reset werkt niet. Htc helpdesk helpt me ook niet verder.

    tips?

    ik hoor het graag.

    M.V.G
    Raoul

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Geen tips. Sorry.
    PS: Die HTC TyTN heb ik trouwens al meer dan een jaar niet meer.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen