donderdag, juni 21, 2007

Where is Mylyn's generic web repository connector?

Mylar is being renamed to Mylyn. Even though the name change is really last minute for the Europa release, I do understand the reason why this must happen.

My recent Eclipse 3.3 installation still had the Mylar-branded code so I decided to uninstall all Mylar features and plug-ins. After the uninstall, I connected to the Europa update site, downloaded the Mylyn features (dated June 15th) and started playing with it.

The first thing I needed to do was to recreate a task repository that points to my Eclipse XPS project hosted at Google Code. That should have been really easy because a long time ago I figured out how to do that. Well.... not this time...

There is no trace of the generic web repository connector that is needed to connect to web based issue trackers. Where did it go?

I really hope that I made some silly mistake. It would be a real pity if it turns out that the Mylar-Mylyn rename jeopardized the quality of the code this close to the Europa release.

5 opmerkingen:

  1. They simply moved it to a different update site. The web site says:

    http://download.eclipse.org/tools/mylyn/update/extras
    JIRA Connector, Generic Issue Tracker Connector, UI Usage Reporting

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Yup, it's exactly as Mark points out.

    Litrik: if you or anyone else believes that the Generic Web Connector should be part of the regular update site please post on the following bug. We are still trying to figure out the right split (seem comment#2 for the current justification).

    193546: define criteria for inclusion of components between the standard and extras update sites
    https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=193546

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I don't understand why you would want multiple update sites. I downloaded Europa, installed Mylyn from the Europa update site and now there is some functionality missing.

    How are users going to find out they need a separate update site? Are you assuming they will all go to the Mylyn homepage to learn about the second update site?

    Isn't it possible to automatically add the update site to the list of known update sites during the install in Europa?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Thanks for saving me a few steps in resolving this ridiculous problem.

    I can't believe the Mylar team is attempting to justify the current absurd state of affairs (in the bug report linked to in the comments here).

    I've been using Mylar since last year and was all set to recommend it to one of my teams as part of an Eclipse 3.3 announcement, but now I'm going to have to go through more carefully and see what else they screwed up at the last minute.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. With version 3.0 the plugin has moved to the incubator package as WebTemplate.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen