zondag, april 29, 2007

Feisty Fawn fails: frustration follows

Yesterday I upgraded my server from Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) to Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn).

Here's how the upgrade went:
  1. I ignored the first step of the upgrade instructions. Backups are for wimps.
  2. I edited /etc/apt/sources.list as instructed. I also removed the entry pointing to my mounted ISO image of Edgy Eft.
  3. I executed all the upgrade steps without any problem. Once the upgrade was done I rebooted (as instructed).
  4. After the reboot I could ping the machine but there was no SSH, no Apache, no Samba. Hmm... that's weird.
  5. I physically moved the server out of the garage and attached a screen and keyboard.
  6. The console showed a message that "The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.". This message was shown for the second and third harddisk that I have installed in the machine. The main disk was fine.
  7. Messages from other people reporting the same problem (not related to an Ubuntu upgrade though) were not making me feel very comfortable.
  8. I went through some of the system logs and noticed both disks failed to mount because the device could not be found. Uh?
  9. I found a great tip about the lshw -C disk command. It revealed that I no longer had any "hdc" nor "hdd" device. The devices were now called "sdb" and "sdc". WTF?!
  10. I replaced all occurrences of the old device names in /etc/fstab by the new device names.
  11. I rebooted the machine and everything worked as expected so I moved the machine back into the garage.
Those were 30 scary minutes. Why on earth does an upgrade change device names?

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Before everybody switches back to Windows:

    I successfully upgraded my Ubuntu (Desktop Edition) Edgy Eft to Feisty Fawn. Just started the update console and waited a while.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. In the end there turned out to be a (good?) explanation.

    I'm not ditching my Ubuntu ;-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen